www.billofrights.org

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Death of a squirrel

I saw the strangest thing the other day while I was walking back from the store. I really don’t think that I miss much.        Then again I’ve not found that roll of hundred dollar bills………yet!!
I was walking back, and I saw,……what I thought was a squirrel stuck in a chain link fence. I don’t care anything about seeing an animal suffering.         Actually,……..I have a better relationship with most animal than I do with humans. I know how pathetic that sounds, but it’s the honest truth.
I was planning to help it get “un-stuck”, but then I had a flash back from many years ago.
I stayed in Deland for a few months, and while I was there I met a squirrel that had a pet human on a leash, or so it seemed to be that  way. I might have this turned around.  Who can really tell these things?
One day we were all sitting around drinking beer, and the more that I drink…..the sillier that I get. For some reason I thought that I just had to hold that squirrel, and give it a good ol’ southern pettin’. I had watched how the squirrel loved his pet human, and never gave him any trouble, so I figured that it would be a good time to try my luck.
The human was reluctant to let loose of him at first, but I guess that I just wore him down with drunk aggravation, and finally he turned loose of the critter.
Man,…….that was the coolest thing!!   I had a real,…live critter in my hands, and he seemed to be just as intrigued by me, as I was him. I scratched his head between his ears, and rubbed his back to the tail. I was still kinda paranoid of the squirrel, and wasn’t sure what his reaction would be if I grabbed it’s tail.
I had probably set there a good three minutes with the squirrel sitting in my lap, and petting him. Actually, I had got comfortable with petting him, and relaxed a little bit too much for my own good.
Suddenly,………without any warning at all,……everything went into super-slow-motion……….…I felt the most shocking pain on my left thumb, and at the same time I flung that critter at his human pet, along with a rash of blood from my almost bitten completely through thumb!!!
Dang it man!!       If it wasn’t for the fact that I have a thumbnail the squirrel would have taken the end of my thumb off!!
Isn’t the human mind wonderful?       It took me just seconds to relive a past moment that took several minutes in real time to complete!!

Anyway,…….I wasn’t sure how I was going to help that squirrel get free from the fence that it was stuck in, but I new that I had to try.
The closer that I got to that squirrel my heart beat faster, and faster from the fear that I might have come by to late to help. He was motionless. I knew in my heart that if he just hadn’t worn himself out trying to get free,……..that he was dead already!!
My worst fear for that squirrel manifested as I gently kicked the fence beside him. That over-grown rat with a beautiful tale had passed through the gates of  where ever a squirrel goes after death.
I wonder what happened to make that squirrel simply die in the position that he was in. do squirrel’s have heart attacks?       I really don’t believe that he got stuck in the fence and starved to death. Seems to me all the racket that he would be making if he was stuck in the fence that somebody would have heard him, and secured his freedom once again. Either they would have came up with a working solution, or called out animal control.

To me this was an amazing sight. I can’t recall ever seeing a squirrel lying dead…….anywhere,………..with the exceptions of those that like to play a good game of dodge the car. The only dead ones were the ones that didn’t play that game all that well!!
It’s really not uncommon to find a squirrel tale just laying on the ground, because that’s the only part of a squirrel that a cat will not eat. Squirrel meat must be a delicacy to a cat, because that’s the only evidence the kitty leaves behind as proof the squirrel ever existed.
I realize that this is probably a strange thing to blog about, but then again,………..I’m a strange person!!

        ……….much love

No comments:

Post a Comment