www.billofrights.org

Monday, March 10, 2014

Good Affliction?

Have you ever been glad, that you were afflicted, with something horrible?  I know how silly this must sound.         How can any affliction be good?   In the world scheme of things, there can hardly be any good, which will come from any affliction. However, if we are Christians living under God system of values, everything changes.  Why?    What is the difference?

Mark 10:27  And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Before, I start to say what that it is, that I want to convey to you today. I want to take you to the Psalms, in a passage, where King David is talking.  What he is saying holds true, from the events of my own life.  Psalms 119:71  It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.

I agree with David that it was good, that I suffered afflictions, and the result was me learning the statutes of the Lord, especially in learning, how to treat others. My main affliction was always a case of drug, and alcohol abuse. Most families seem to have a person, in their midst, who suffers in that way. I was the one in my family, and it did cause me to be considered the “black sheep” of my family.

In my quest to find the solution, from my addictions I went through a lot of different programs. Most of these were centered on something, other than God. I failed at all of these, and grew to detest what that they had to offer. I eventually found the other side, where I was taught that God would be my solution, to the chaotic mess in my life. 

I spent a few years inside the Salvation Army, in two separate visits. I was with them for two years the first time, and three years, the second time. Both times, I went through the program that was offered, and hired on as an employee both times. These were two of the most valuable positions, which I could have ever had to aid me, in the treatment of others.

The first position that I had was the assistant to the man in charge of running the house. I can’t even remember the title of that job. I know that it had the title that could puff a person up. When everything was said and done, and all the smoke had cleared, I was nothing more than a glorified adult babysitter!! It took me a while to adjust to that job, because it was my first taste of having power. The truth was that I had no power, but over the men in the program. 

I was a tyrant at first, because I did not understand, that there was a grey shade, between the black and white colors. In other words I didn’t know that mercy ever existed. I knew right, was right, and wrong was wrong, and the penalty for wrong was severe. I reigned and ruled by what my former life dictated. I guess that you know that I became the most hated man in the house. The sad part was the fact that I didn’t care, because I simply thought that came with the job.

The most amazing thing happened as I started to listen to Holy Spirit. I had a heart transplant, and learned the true value of showing mercy. I figured out what it seems that most folks already knew. It was the law of reaping, and sowing. If I would show mercy, then I would receive mercy. There is actually a Bible verse, that qualifies this statement.

Luke 6:38  Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

I kept that job for two years, before I let Satan run me off. I was well loved by the time, which I called it quits. The men in the program loved me, as well as the other staff members. I helped a lot of the men in the program, simply because, I let Holy Spirit help me.

I find it amazing the things that will, and can change, when we allow Holy Spirit to work, in our lives. Jesus called Holy Spirit the comforter, and I know that if we will simply allow Him to work in our lives, that He does bring a lot of comfort with His presence. 

I am going to wait until later, to tell you about my second tour of duty, with the Salvation Army. I learned some very valuable life lessons there also.    Ain’t God Awesome?

           ….Much Love     

No comments:

Post a Comment