www.billofrights.org

Monday, December 23, 2013

A Shepherds View

Luke 2:10-11  And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

This is one of those verses, which tingles me down to my toes!!     Actually, this is got to be my favorite story, on the birth, of our Savior. The climax of this story to me is verse eleven. That is the best news that a person eaten up with sin, could ever receive!! However, I am going to act like all of those, that will read this post, know Jesus, in a very personal way, for now. I might change this plan depending on how the Spirit moves.

Luke 2:8  And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

I have never been a shepherd over any kind of animal. I have never even considered walking through the wilderness, mountaintops, or the valleys, leading a flock of sheep, to their next feeding place, or watering hole. I understand that sheep are not the smartest in the animal kingdom, and often require a little extra persuasion to do, what the shepherd desires, for them to do.

They are really skittish, and are easily spooked. When this happens they can run off in every direction, so being a shepherd is a twenty-four hour a day job. The shepherds have to sleep in shifts. This does not sound appealing to me one little bit!! You do realize that their bathing habits were not as frequent, as I like to clean up. 

I don’t know how they entertained themselves, completely away from civilization, for such long period of times. I would imagine that they told every story, which they had ever heard, until they were ashamed to tell then once again. There is not any indication, that these men had a relationship with God, or even religious. However, that was going to change in a flash.

Luke 2:9  And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

No could you just imagine, all of a sudden, the glory of the Lord shinning around them?  I don’t think that the knowledge, of being in presence of an angel, was their first thought. The glory of the Lord was what blinded Paul, on the Damascus road, and that was in the daylight. Verse eight definitely says this was night time. I am pretty sure the fear that they were experiencing was due, from the fact, that they had no idea what was happening.

Luke 2:10  And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

I have no idea if they have at this point realized that it was indeed a visitation, from an angel. The angel went on to tell them that they would find the newborn messiah, in the city of Bethlehem. I don’t know how much of this they really comprehended at the time. I think if I was having that experience, that I would have my mouth wide open, in total disbelief, of what was happening!!

Luke 2:13-14  And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 14  Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

The time frame is not discussed in this passage, but it seems to be moving along at a steady pace. Before they even got a chance to realize the things going on already, another event is taking place. Suddenly refers to in the blink of an eye, there appeared a multitude sized praise team from Heaven!!

If you have studied a lot about Heaven, you probably realize that it is a place of excessive volumes. Most things that are done in Heaven, you will have no problem hearing.      Can you imagine a night, in the life of shepherds being like this?    Can you imagine what a Heavenly praise team must sound like, and the volume that they would produce?   I have one more consideration, which is found in the next verse.

Luke 2:15  And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.

Do you reckon that after all the commotion had ceased, that the poor, rattled shepherds needed a little quite time, to come to their senses?  This verse starts out with these words; “And it came to pass.” This has to be a traumatic experience, because these men had never had an angel experience before.  How do you know that they never had an angel encounter before? If you recall, there was a period of silence, from Heaven for about four hundred years.

I believe that it is good to put ourselves, right alongside the characters, in the Bible. That way we can get a better understanding, of how we would have felt, in any given situation, and the action, that we may have taken. I really enjoyed sharing my insight, on the shepherd’s side, of this awesome story. Thank you for allowing me to come into wherever you might be, as you read these posts.             Ain’t God good?

Merry Christmas

                 …..Much Love             

No comments:

Post a Comment