www.billofrights.org

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Acts 12:1-11

Something that has been bothering me, for the last week, much more than usual is this. When is it time to take matters, into our own hands? Please don’t answer that question right now. Not until you have more information, of what I am saying. I have come to notice that God never does something that, we are capable of doing ourselves.

I really want to start in the life of Peter. Peter had been placed in prison, because of King Herod. Herod had set out to destroy, certain people of the church. He just had James, the brother of John killed, with the sword. The only reason that, he had taken Peter, into prison is because, he had found favor is the eyes, of the Jews, for killing James.

Now this was King Herod Agrippa, and he didn’t care about, the Jewish people, or their cause. The only thing that he really cared about, was receiving praise, from the people. If killing James caused, such an approval, then Peter should cause a greater reaction. Who are these Jews that want to see the Apostle’s killed? John Gill’s commentary, on the Bible said that, they were the same crowd, who placed Jesus, on our own cross. These fella’s just don’t know when to stop!!    Do they?

Herod could not take Peter suddenly, because of the days of unleavened bread. However, when they did capture him, the plan was to bring Peter, before the people after Easter. The placed Peter under the command of sixteen Roman guards, and had placed two chains, on his hands. One chain was attached to a Roman guard, on his right side, and the other to a Roman guard, on his left. There were two guards at the door, and they changed shifts every three hours. All sixteen was never there, at the same time. 

Now, Peter had an ace in the hole, if I can be so bold to put it, in that way. It wasn’t the fact, that he was an Apostle. It wasn’t the fact that, he had been anointed by God, to preach the gospel, of our Lord, Jesus Christ. The answer is found in verse five. The church was praying for Peter without ceasing. Back then the church had more prayer warriors, than our churches have today. I must admit that I am not a prayer warrior. I am not saying that I don’t pray, because I do, but I don’t qualify, for a true warrior, in the prayer department.

Acts 12:7  And, behold, the angel of the Lord came upon him, and a light shined in the prison: and he smote Peter on the side, and raised him up, saying, Arise up quickly. And his chains fell off from his hands.

I am not going into the fact that, all the guards were apparently not coherent, during these events, as they happened.  I am going to point out that, God had sent an angel, to do for Peter, what he couldn’t do for himself. Verse eight states that, the angel told Peter to do those things, which he was capable of doing.

Act 12:8  And the angel said unto him, Gird thyself, and bind on thy sandals. And so he did. And he saith unto him, Cast thy garment about thee, and follow me. 

“Put your clothes on, and strap your sandals, on your feet. Throw your coat on, and follow me.”  The angel did none of the things that, Peter was capable of doing for himself. Peter thought that, he was seeing a vision, because the events that were happening, before his eyes were unreal. 

Acts 12:10  When they were past the first and the second ward, they came unto the iron gate that leadeth unto the city; which opened to them of his own accord: and they went out, and passed on through one street; and forthwith the angel departed from him. 

I can understand why Peter thought that, he was seeing a vision. He had just walked out of, and I repeat this; he had just walked out of a Roman prison, under Roman guards, without a problem, from anything or anybody. This includes the guards, and the Iron Gate leading, to the outside. However let’s see what conclusion that, Peter had come to, in the next verse.

Acts 12:11  And when Peter was come to himself, he said, Now I know of a surety, that the Lord hath sent his angel, and hath delivered me out of the hand of Herod, and from all the expectation of the people of the Jews. 

It seems like the angel had left Peter, and he was still walking down the street, before he realized that, it was real. If you will notice, Peter gave credit to the Lord, for his deliverance, from the prison. I really love this prison escape story. I just love to see my Lord showing out, to help His children.
Getting back to the question I had asked at the beginning.  When is it time to take matters, into our own hands?”  Can I be as bold to say never?  There is a reason that, our title is the children of God. As children we should bring our every care, to our loving Father
.
Philippians 4:6  Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 

We are to bring everything to God. However, we should not expect Him to do, for us the things that, we can do for ourselves.        Can I use an example, from my own life?    I can’t tell you how many times that, I was smoking, and praying that, God would deliver me, from the smoke demon. I knew that, I had a demon of smoke living on the inside of me, and I really wanted to have it cast, out of me.

I later figured out, after the process, that I had a part in my deliverance. I had to cast the tobacco away, from me first. I have heard all the incredible stories, of God delivering folks from smoking, but his was not my case. I had to be a part of mine. I had things that I had to do first. I had to lay them down, which wasn’t the hard part. I had laid them down a lot of times before. That was the easy part.

The hard part was a stretch of my faith. Could I trust God to deliver me, from this demon?  It wasn’t easy. There were times that, I was brought to tears, because of the pain, of the rebellion, of this demon, inside of me. Please remember that demons are fallen angels, and they are strong and strong willed, about what that they are doing. If you have ever smoked, and been delivered, then you know exactly, what I am saying. (Over three years smoke free now. Thank you Lord!!)

We should always take all our cares to the Lord. Then we should ask, what our part is, in making it happen. Sometimes it is no more than believing, and showing our faith. Most of the time thought, we have a part in the beginning. We need to remember that, the Lord doesn’t need our help, but certain things are simply our responsibility. 

Is there any wonder that Peter wrote this next verse?

1Peter 5:7  Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 

Ain’t God Awesome?

          ….Much Love     

No comments:

Post a Comment