www.billofrights.org

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Fasting.......Wow!!


Have you ever been sitting in church, and you quickly figure out that this sermon today is not going to be your favorite sermons?      It ain't that there is really anything wrong with what he is preaching. Because the preacher is showing you in the Word of God that it is true.       I have heard preachers that never open a Bible trying to teach me how to live.       It can seem like I remember that being in the Word, but that just don't cut it in my book!!        I need a man to show me exactly what he is saying in the Bible, and if he don't I have no use for his preaching. I might not always like the sermon, because of the stinging of my flesh.
I am happy to say that in my church we never have a problem with unsecured sermons.      Our preacher backs his words up with plenty of scriptures!!       Today was no different than usual.   The sermon today was on fasting, and the benefits of fasting.     The reason that I didn't care for it is because that before I can begin to fast I need to start eating regular meals.
My regular diet is horrible!!       I eat the things that are not best for my health mostly because of my living arrangement.       I am really not making excuses.      I think that this is a valid issue.    I rarely eat any of the meals provided for me, because of the scheduled time that they are offered.     When I do eat they are not well balanced healthy meals.       Plus I skip a lot of meals.      Can you see my issue with fasting?
I am going to show you what Bro. Garry showed us in the word of God. Isaiah 58:6-9

6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy reward.
9 Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
Fasting has many lasting effects in all three areas: Spiritually, Mentally, and Physically.    However this kind of fast cannot be taken lightly.     It has to be done the way that is told here in these verses. Mainly because God is talking here.     He is asking the question, “ Is this not the fast that I have chosen?”
We serve a Holy God, and when He says that a thing should be a certain way........That is exactly what He means!!      Honestly, I am sitting here wishing that I never had been given this assignment, because I am not sure that I can pull this one off in the way that Almighty God requires.    If you are feeling like I am right now I can only pray that we can find the strength to do this in the right way.
I was thinking that being a poor person that fasting would be easy for me.      In verse 7 He is saying that we should take the food that we would have eaten, and feed someone that has no food to eat with it.      Besides that we are to clothe the ones that are in need of clothes.     Now living in the city like I do.......I see people in need almost every where that I go.      It is over-whelming to see the need in Jacksonville Florida!!
The good thing is that we don't have to feed all of them, nor clothe the entire multitude.     Although, Jesus fed entire multitudes more than once.      Even still that was classified as a miracle!!
Now let's jump to the rewards if we can do this in the right way.     They are Awesome!!      Talk about God blessing His children!!       To loose the bands of wickedness that have hold of us.    To undo the heavy burdens that have us bound down, and set those that are oppressed free.     To break the yoke of everything that has you bound in any way.
That is not all.     You light, your personal attitude will shine like never before.     Your health will improve with great speed.       You will be seen as a righteous person, and the glory of the Lord shall be thy reward!!     That is totally Awesome!!      We can call upon the name of the Lord, and He will answer.      When we cry out He will say here I am!!
The benefits of doing a fast in the way that the Lord wants it done are Awesome!!       I keep using the word awesome, because it is the most powerful word to describe God's reaction to our fast that I personally know.        This is a powerful lesson to achieve.
Now this is just me rambling on about this.      What I can understand for this is that if we will sacrifice a part of our food to feed others, and clothe those in need....The best that we can.     Then God will supply our every need, and what we need the most is His presence in our lives!!      That is something that deserves heavy consideration!!
 
 
….............Much Love

No comments:

Post a Comment