www.billofrights.org

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Yep,.......This will do


I have been sitting here trying to decide what I will write today. I have already rejected my first post half-way through. It is not that I think it will be no good,      just no good right now     . I have several different questions beating on the inside of my skull, and if I don't make a quick decision they might just all leak out through a crack.       That is the crack made by the beating against the inside of my skull!!
I have been puzzled with a thought for the last couple hours about the program that I am involved with right now. I know that it is a Spiritual program based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. I do realize what the reason is that I got what it had to offer is the fact that I entered into this program seeking a real relationship with Jesus.         What I don't get is why others don't get it?
Five days a week we go to a morning devotion. We also have ten hours a week class time, and some of these classes are fairly intense. We are required to attend a church of our choice on Wednesday and Sunday morning. Plus we seem to always have something else thrown into our busy schedule. We have what they call our ministry assignment which is a cute word for work, and other classes not Spiritual based.        We do this every week up to eighteen months worth.
The first three months are done in the downtown mission.       Over half that start drops out before the three months are over.      The rest of that time is spent on a different campus where we are isolated from the normal world until the weekends.           The dropout rate is not as high there, but still over the next 15 months a lot can happen.
Those that seem to stand the test of time a lot of them don't get it.    Some move out, and the first week back out in the world already are living like hell.          They move in with those of the opposite sex.         Usually somebody that they were going through the program with at the time.       If they don't start drinking alcohol and doing drugs the first week then it will not take them long.
The really strange part to me is those that after going a year, and a half without smoking decide to start back.               I really don't understand this one                 . I have had God deliver me from several different things, and I place smoking at the very top of my list!!            This is a personal issue for me that I couldn't quit on my own.        I don't think a person would go to hell for smoking. However, ….I do believe that I would be hard pressed if I ever started back to ever stop again.      I am sure that it would take little to stay stopped rather than even try to quit again.
Maybe living a Christian life just ain't cut out for some people?      Maybe it is causing some folks to give up things that they really find value in doing?         I don't think that I have given up anything that I thought was any value to me.       Most of all that I gave up was hard on my body in some form or fashion.        Here is the real kicker:        I have not been ask to give anything up yet that has not been replaced with something better!!
I have tried asking some of the former “Students” ( that's what they call us) Why they started doing whatever that they started back doing?     Most of the that drank, or done drugs just faced the ground shaking their head saying,.....I don't have a clue, or I don't know.       Those that started back smoking usually had some arrogant answer to the effect that they wanted to start back.     The only reason that they ever stopped was to do this program, and usually because they needed to get off drugs.        Just think... All this time I was under the impression that nicotine was a drug!!
I guess that I have finally gotten old enough that I don't have anything left to prove.      I have no score to settle, or anything else that might classify me as being purely silly.    I read where Billy Graham made this statement, and I will have to agree with him: “ Even if I lived my entire life, and died finding out that God wasn't anything but a myth. If I had the chance to live it over,.......I would choose to live the life of a Christian, because it is just a great way to live!!”

That is a powerful statement all by itself!!

..........Much Love

No comments:

Post a Comment