www.billofrights.org

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Machine Gun Arsenal of Scriptures

I was talking to my next door neighbor the other day. This is a man, which I have known, for the last two years. I went through the life builders program with him, and have got to know him closely. I was telling him about some of the people, that live in our building. I was telling him that if he would take the time to get to know certain people, that they were good folks.
He went on to tell me that he had spoken to most of these people, and they were not friendly back. He went on to say if they were not friendly back, that he had no farther use to be friendly with them. He went on to tell me something about me. He said that he had been watching me, and I had to be the friendliest person, in our building. My friend went on to say that I speak to everybody, no matter if I got a reply or not.
I thought about what he was saying, and he was right. There are people that I spoke to until they started speaking, and this led to conversations. I considered this as good Christian conduct. I always thought that the first rule as being a Christian was to show the love of God, which is inside of us. The fact that I can speak, is a blessing in itself. The fact that I have something to say that is not negative is also a blessing, and I find that is widely accepted.
Sometimes the fact that I show the joy of the Lord inside of me makes people ask why I am so happy. This opens up an opportunity to brag on my Jesus. Sometimes when I say anything about Jesus, they quickly make an excuse to leave. I don’t press the issue. If they don’t want to hear about what gives me joy in my life, I don’t become a burden to them. I figure that I planted a seed, and my mission is done here.
I don’t think that anybody has ever come to the loving care of Jesus, because of force. As a matter of a fact, I know that if Holy Spirit is not involved, they will never reach out to Jesus. You know,…I am alright with that order of selection. It really doesn’t matter if I ever lead anyone into Salvation. I know my job is to point them in the right direction.
One of the biggest problems that I have had, actually, it still happens today, is nagging witnesses. You know the kind that shove a religious track in your face, and give a stern commandment to read it!! Then they pull out a machine gun arsenal of scriptures, and blast you straight in the face!! I often wonder how these people can talk that long without breathing?
I don’t know how the masses receive this kind of a witness. I know that it makes me get angry quickly, on several different levels. I automatically shut my listening off, and only think about my escape route.
If they would take a different approach, and a lot of these Christians do. They don’t all witness in this aggressive manner. However, the ones that do, scare folks away from hearing about Jesus.
 Colossians 4:6  Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. I believe that the Apostle Paul has a really good thing going on, in this verse. If we would take the time to talk with people, most of them will gladly talk back. It is really hard to get folks to open up to us, if we don’t open on common ground. How are you doing?     I know this is a dangerous way to open up a conversation in the city, but it will throw the ball into the court, of the one, that you want to talk with.
Can I share something with you?     I remember a few years back, while I was living really deep in sin. I was at the normal bus stop that I frequented twice a week. I noticed that if I was there at a certain time, there was a little old man who would walk up. All he did was place some Bible track around the enclosure, which was there as a weather boundary. Then he would talk with as many that would talk back. Now this man didn’t always talk about Jesus, but he was friendly regardless. 
I knew that I wasn’t living right, so I would walk away, and stand at a distance. He never walked to me. However he would lift his hand in a friendly gesture. I didn’t realize it at the time, but I started to make sure that I was there, when he paid his visit. I started moving closer, so I could hear his talk. Within a few weeks, I wouldn’t even move away, when I would see him coming. Actually, this old man was the only good thing in my life at that time, and I was attracted to his show of love.
Matthew 5:14  Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. This man was truly a light, in the darkness that I was living in. I was drawn to the Jesus shinning out in his life. Just to be honest this man had something that my Spirit longed to be a part of again. It would be wonderful if I could tell you that this man, caused my back-sliden condition, to repent quickly. That would be a lie, and those that read this regularly would know that it wasn’t true.
The reality of this situation is, that little old man’s light was shining so bright, that it out shined the sun. It made such an impression on me, that I have included him in this post. My question to you and myself today is simple. “Are we living our lives in such away, that others can see the light of Jesus shining brightly?”
Ain’t God good?

      ….Much Love 

No comments:

Post a Comment