www.billofrights.org

Monday, June 24, 2013

The First Presbyterian Church

My quest to find a local church in which to worship the Lord, as I know Him continued today. I attended the First Presbyterian Church located in the heart of the city. The things that I am going to share with you were from my own experience today. If I ever go into a church, and I don’t find it to be tolerable to my standards, then I probably will not be writing about it. My quest is to find a church that I am not-so-much comfortable in, but more than less challenged, to become what Jesus wants me to be.
The last thing, which I personally need, for my Spiritual health, is to walkout, after a church service, with a warm fuzzy feeling. I know how that I am, and I can be prone to wander away, on a sight-seeing tour!! With all that being said, please allow me to share my experience with you.
I didn’t do any searching for external facts about the age of this church. However, I know that it has to be one of the oldest in the city, simply because of the construction, both inside and outside. I am a stickler for details, and I rarely miss much. The floor was a hardwood floor, with a very think red carpet, throughout the walk ways. The walls were also a hardwood, which seemed to match the pews, which had cushions added from comfort.
 The sanctuary wasn’t as large as I would have thought, standing outside of the building. The most amazing sight in the whole sanctuary was the stained glass windows, which were on three of the four walls. They were set in cathedral style windows, framed in very thick hardwood. I really don’t know my woods, but I will dare to say these were either mahogany wood, or cherry wood. Everything was simply beautiful.
The stage area was immaculate!! There was a grand podium on the left side, from facing in, and a smaller version on the right side. In the middle a fairly small choir sat, and above them the pipes from the organ were displayed. I must say that the choir might have seemed small to me, but they really rocked out on an anthem called, “The Lord is my light.” The tempo was set really high, so the lady on the piano was getting a good workout. I noticed that it was going so fast that she had a young lady turning the pages of her sheet music!!
I remember attending this church when I first came to Jacksonville, a little over twenty years ago. I am not sure why I was here, and I only remember coming once. I think that they had a different pastor back then. All I remember about him was the fact that he was behind that great grand podium, towering over the spectators beneath him.
Today, the Reverend Doctor Robert L. Morris, Jr. was presiding over the congregation. He was preaching on a series titled, the life of Peter, with today’s title being, “Peter takes the lead.” The text was taken from Acts5:17-40 with the accent scripture being 5:29, Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
Brother Morris started behind the grand podium that towered above the congregation. All of a sudden he switched modes, and carried a stool to the center of the stage, and laid his notes on a music stand. I can’t express what a humble act that that was to me. He spoke with such a mild manner to begin with, and the simple act of changing locations, simply screamed volumes of humility to me.
I really can’t tell you much of what he said to us this morning, because he was so comfortable, with what he was teaching, and the stories that he was telling. I myself while staying with him was wondering off with my thoughts. I was actually comparing this man’s teaching, with what I would imagine the way that Jesus would have taught. He was very calm and completely cool with his words, and examples coming forth.
I do know that he told three totally different stories this morning. We the finish was upon us, we knew that they all tied together, with the fact that our God has called us to obedience. I bet that y’all thought that I wasn’t paying good attention!!  The truth is that I did walk out of those doors, with that fuzzy warm feeling. I can say that it was a very warm feeling, because Jesus is still on the throne!!
I forgot to mention that the motto of the church that I was in attendance today was simple. It was, “To know and serve Jesus Christ.” However, I will be attending another fellowship in this city next week. It is not because anything was wrong, with these past two weeks of visitation. It is because of a verse of scripture that Paul wrote to the Philippians.  Philippians 2:12  Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.


             ……….Much Love

No comments:

Post a Comment