www.billofrights.org

Monday, June 17, 2013

My Baptist Re-experience



I really need to apologize for something that I didn’t do today. Today was Father’s Day, and I didn’t even salute the fathers of our nation. I guess the reason being that neither am I a father, nor did I know my own father while being raised. I guess it would be fair to say that my childhood was complicated. That should be water under the bridge this late in life.
I did do something today, that I never ever thought, that I would be guilty of doing, in my life again. I went to visit a Baptist church up the street. I knew yesterday that I was going to check them out. I even prayed for the tolerance, and guidance about this church, while keeping my Spiritual sharpness intact. I wanted to give them a fair shake on becoming my new church. I am not looking for a certain denomination. I just want to go to church where Holy Spirit goes.
The reason that I am cautious about even walking inside of a Baptist church also, stems from my childhood. I really had a life changing event happen one day in church. It involves people under the control of demonic forces prophesying over my life, and placing their hands on me. I really didn’t have any idea what happened at the time, but it sure messed me up for a few years, along with other things.
Actually, I have used this blog to help set me free from a lot of my past pains. Pains that I had been trying to hold on to, and keep hidden for most of my life. Once the last two of my family finally wrote me off, I didn’t feel that there was any need to lug all that baggage around any longer. If a person was to go back, and read all that I have written since I started, then they would know the whole truth.
If you are considering doing what I just said, please allow me to give you a warning. It might just bore you to death!! There is nothing all that dramatic, or news worthy. It was just the thing that I had to deal with growing up, that I carried around way too long. Some of the things were my fault, and some of the things I had no control over at all.
Don’t y’all want to hear about my Baptist experience today? It really wasn’t all that bad. I have gone from a church that seat three-thousand, to one that has sixty-four in attendance. I am sure that a few more straggled in, after the count was made, but not very many. I can say that those sure were a friendly group of folks, from the time I got there, until I left people were shaking my hands. One thing about the Baptist that has not changed over the years is the fact that they love to talk.
Even though the group was not that large I did notice that they were fairly versatile all the age groups were represented, so there should be a future for the church. Have you ever gone to a church, where all the people are fairly old? I did once, and it seemed to be a very lively group. However, I really didn’t see a great future in them. The survival rate for a church greatly needs for all age groups to be present.
I was really encouraged by the preacher, and the way that he approached the sermon. He knew the Bible well, and he said most of the words that I really expect a good preacher to use. I am really not sure how many notes that he was reading from. Actually, I am not sure that he was reading from any notes. Honestly, I was too busy listening to the sermon which was titled, “How to build a father.” It was taken from the entire forth chapter of the book of Proverbs.
If I were decide to go to that church on a regular basis I don’t have to worry about wearing a tie. I felt like I was better dressed that the preacher man today. He wore a Polo shirt outside of his khaki pants. It didn’t seem to faze this man though, because he was really secure in his position. He was really friendly, and deeply in love with Jesus!! With all this going on I wouldn’t have cared less if he brought the sermon in his pajamas.
Are you just naturally attracted to those who love the Lord Jesus? I really am, and it usually doesn’t take me long to figure out if they are for real. Some folks are in love with themselves talking about Jesus. They don’t really know who He is, just the things that they have heard said about Him. The sad part about this is that I can fully relate to these people, because I used to be one of them. I have been through some stuff through the years.
I can never stress enough that church is not the key to happiness. It is all about the relationship that you have with Jesus. Please don’t confuse what I said, because there is nothing like a really good church service. However, if you relationship is not that healthy, and if your church is not that healthy, you might wind up with a warm feeling, instead of it being a joyous occasion

       …………Much Love

No comments:

Post a Comment