www.billofrights.org

Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Story of Great Mercy

Thirteen years ago I went through a discipleship training program offered by a mission, to the homeless. Actually, there are great resources available to the homeless, if they would seek them out. It used to be that when folks became homeless, it was because of sin issues in their lives, which had not been dealt with. In my case it was alcohol, and drug issues. I tried to cover it up with faking mental instability, because I would rather be known as a fruit-loop, rather than a drunk!!
I need to say this to not offend anybody, because in 2010, the American economy dropped out, and as a result the face, of the homeless changed.  Suddenly, hardworking families were living, on the streets, and in shelters. With that being said, I need to place the focus of being homeless back to me.
I know the true state of my homelessness, and the bottom line wasn’t what I just said that it was. Those things that I named off were simply symptoms, of the manifestations of my true problem. I didn’t have but one problem, and that problem is called rebellion!! Proverbs 17:11  An evil man seeketh only rebellion: therefore a cruel messenger shall be sent against him. Imagine that!!   The Lord called me an evil man!!        Do you know what?         He was right, because I was evil in the sight of my God!!      I did reap every reward that this verse had promised would happen.
When I came to Florida, I was running from the law in Alabama. I thought that I would move down here, and start my life over. Hurricane Andrew has decimated southern Florida, so I was sure to find work. I went as far as Miami, and was starving to death on the beach. I finally met a contractor, who convinced me that I need to go into ground zero, and find work.
What I actually found was a great con man, who took me on as his apprentice. He taught me most of everything that he knew, and I was a great student. Although, I had learned to con good folks, out of their hard earned money, it did me no good, and I never felt right about doing this. I would go out and con a couple of days a week, and spend every night sleeping in the woods.
How many of you have camped in Southern Florida, or around any swamp in the world? Let me tell you there is an over-abundance of ants, fire-ants, mosquitos, sand fleas, and biting critters in general!! I was shocked at the fact that most things in the wild, in Southern Florida have a stripe running down their back, and a mouthful of sharp teeth!! If they don’t bite you, they are sure to leave a deep scratch!!
The truth is that I spent almost three years living in those woods, and I bore the marks of a man rebelling against God. I caught some fungus that the medical profession simply called, Jungle Rot. They honestly didn’t know what it was, but I understood that it was eating a hole in my chest. I was blessed in the fact that a shot of antibiotics, followed by a regiment of antibiotics stopped the eating away from my flesh.
If it had gone far enough along, I would have been in a different category. It seemed that almost everybody that was homeless at the time got a case of it. Some wound up in the hospital with an antibiotic drip, and possible surgery, if the process was not reversed.       Ain’t the mercy of God good?
I finally got tired of being bait, for those creepy, crawling critters, so I made my way north. I received a charge of having an open container of alcohol, in New Smyrna Beach. They didn’t realize that I was driving that truck from Miami, which had only been stolen a few hours earlier. I was with my mentor con man, and he wound up getting the truck back, and traded it to the man that had towed it in. I got out of that jail the next day, and I never looked back. They were waiting on finger print proof of who that he was, because he had several different ID’s in his wallet, along with matching food stamp cards. To this day I don’t really know who he was!!
I finally made it to Jacksonville, and ran into him once again. We moved into an old run-down apartment in the slum part of town. We burnt this city up quickly, and were heading to the interstate, going to California. I was sick. I was as sick as I had ever been in my life. I was sick to my soul!! I knew that if I didn’t break free from this man, and change my life, that I wouldn’t live much longer.
I still remember it like it was yesterday. We were at Main, and Fourth Street when I told him goodbye. That was a mile stone in my life. I still think about that sometimes when I am in that location.  That was not when I stopped rebelling against God. I am not sure why I wrote this, because I never intended at the beginning.
The truth is that I know the road, which I have traveled to get me to this point. I am not worried about making me look better, that I have actually been, or am now.  I was the people that my mother warned me to avoid in my life. It is true, that I have been purely evil, in the sight of my God!!
Thank you Father for sending you Son, Jesus Christ to save my Soul!! Jesus has made all the difference in me, and He will do the same for you. Jesus cleans up all kinds of people. Those that were as bad as I was, and those that were worse, and those that are just like you!! He don’t care how bad that you are, or how bad that you think that you are. Jesus has never faced a person that He could not forgive, and change. Romans 2:11  For there is no respect of persons with God.
Do you want some more truth?  John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Maybe I should just cap this off, and call this post a done deal.  What do you think?  Do you think that it possible, to top that last verse?  Matthew 18:11  For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
That is it.          Father sent Him, to seek, and save me!!     Thank you Jesus, because I was seriously lost. Because you saved me, that is why I write his little blog, with Your help, to tell others about You!!          Ain’t God good?
                     …..Much Love   

No comments:

Post a Comment